Build a Bowl + Protein Prep
A few times a week, I find myself at a standstill wondering what I can eat that will be easy, fast, fresh, and healthy. I always end up throwing a bunch of produce in a bowl with grains & legumes – topping it off with some spices, sauces, and fresh herbs. Sounds amazing, right?
How to Build Your Bowl
An easy recipe for cooking beans is at the bottom.
Canned beans & frozen rice can get pretty pricey if you’re using them up a lot. I recommend prepping them ahead of time. This way, you can just throw it all together in a bowl (or even pack it up easily for lunch).
- Bag of beans (under $2) – any type
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili + lime seasoning
1. Rinse bag of dry beans in colander – sorting through and taking out any unwanted beans, rocks, etc.
2. Add dry beans to slow cooker and fill with water. Let soak either overnight or during your workday (8+ hours) – making sure not to turn it on.
3. Strain beans in colander over sink and rinse thoroughly. Rinse out slow cooker pot.
4. Add beans bank into cooker and add all spices + salt. Add water to fill line. Place cooker on “low” for 8+ hours (10-12 hours for garbanzo beans) (overnight is best!).