Tangy Sweet Potato Curry
Anyone else craving all the steaming hot soups, stews, and curries this winter? I am. Although, I do severely miss the brightness and lightness of summer foods! I created a perfectly warming, comforting, but energetic curry that pairs wonderfully with your favorite grain + protein.
Sweet potato, the food that gives your insides a big hug and warms you up.
Spicy heat, it keeps you alert and awakens your soul!
Here’s an easy, quick, go-to recipe for some citrusy, sweet, aromatic, savory, and spicy goodness for this crazy winter weather.
- ½ white onion, sliced
- 1 cubic inch of ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed (or 2 medium)
- 1 teaspoon:
- curry powder
- onion powder
- coriander seed
- black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (or ¼ for a more mild curry) (or 3/4 for extra hot!)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 canned coconut milk
- 1 lime
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 diced tomato
Mine is pictured with brown rice, tomato, cilantro, and lime.
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot at medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot, and ginger.
- Once onions are soft, but not browned, add sweet potato and sautee for 5 min
- Add in all spices and mix in and sautee until aromatic
- Add broth. Reduce to simmer and let sit for 10-15. Check the largest potato’s consistency with a fork – it should be slightly less than fully cooked.
- Add coconut milk and continue simmer for 5 min
- Try the broth of the curry to taste – add any additional spice for preference.
- OPTIONAL – blend ½ of curry or lightly pulse the whole batch so that ½ of it still remains in chunks.
- Right before serving, add the juice of 1 lime.
- Serve with diced tomato, cilantro, brown rice (or another yummy grain) and some protein, like chickpeas or tofu. There’s a cheap & easy recipe to cook dry chickpeas here.