Vegetable soup is a staple for all of us, right? The slow cooked flavor of all the veggies meshed together with hearty broth is so fantastic. I’ve always loved adding different textured foods to make it even more comforting.
A while ago, I created this “green soup” recipe so I could have a delicious, warming, creamy, and nutritious snack mid-day or for a late night dinner.
In my recipe, I’ve paired traditional vegetable soup with kale, cilantro, and a spicy kick. I don’t leave it chunky, though – I blend it all together at the end to turn it into a creamy & comforting bisque.
Bonus: this recipe is very simple & can be modified ANY way you like. I suggest that you make sure you use a potato, greens, and fresh herbs at the very least. Modify the spiciness level for yourself, too!
Makes 6-8 cups of soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 garlic cloves roughly minced
- 1 sweet potato (small or medium)
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 3-4 cups broth (depends on how thick you want the soup)
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp
- onion powder
- herbes de provence
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp soy or nut milk
- 4 cups kale (four handfuls)
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1/2 lemon’s juice
- chili flakes + cilantro for serving
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot, garlic, broccoli, sweet potato, zucchini to the pot. Sauté for 5 minutes and stir it up every few minutes to ensure even cooking.
- Crank up to medium – high heat, add broth, bay leaves, spices, aminos, and milk.
- Bring to boil. Then turn down to a simmer and cover. Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes (until sweet potatoes are very soft and fall apart when poked with a fork).
- Remove pot from from heat. Add kale, cilantro, and lemon juice. Remove bay leaves.
- Blend blend blend! – I use this immersion blender – so I don’t have to transfer away to a blender and create more dishes! Taste – add seasonings, lemon juice, and extra cilantro to your taste preference.
- Serve and garnish with cilantro and chili flakes. Enjoy!