Baked Sweet Potatoes
I eat a lot of sweet potatoes. I get the giant ones regularly and bake them whole, cube them up & sauté, and make lots of baked fries.
Nothing beats a classically baked sweet potato, though. I’ve figure out a quick way to cut the cook time in half – all while introducing crispy and caramelized textures on the edges. I love pairing my sweet potato with savory & spicy foods – like cayenne, salsa, beans, and veggies.
You can also take this baking method and use it for sweet, sweet potatoes! Add brown sugar, coconut whipped cream, cinnamon, bananas and blueberries would be so delicious with the crispy and creamy potato.
I have included recipes for both the sweet potato & tex-mex toppings. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 35 min
- 2 large (very large) sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp oil (coconut or olive)
- parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 425
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise
- drizzle oil onto one of the potato halves and rub together with other potatoes – ensuring they all have an even, smooth coating
- Place face down on parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake for 30 mins (may be more / less depending on your potato size)
- I’d say check at 20 minutes for small potatoes
- use a fork to check – potato should seem soft and deflated under it’s skin
- to serve, fork through potato to fluff and garnish with toppings!
Tex Mex Baked Sweet Potato Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 avocado
- 1 tomato, diced and/or sliced
- 1 tbsp vegan mayo substitute
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 cup fresh spinach chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups cooked beans
- salt / pepper
- 1/2 cup carrot shreds
- While sweet potato is baking – prepare rice / beans if necessary. I recommend mixing them together and adding little lemon juice or salt to bring out flavor.
- Mash avocado and mix in diced tomato & ground pepper.
- In a small bowl or cup, mix together mayo, a squeeze of lemon juice, paprika, hot sauce, 1-2 teaspoons of water. This is a crema and it should be runny.
- Use avocado, rice/beans, crema, cilantro, and other toppings to garnish and dress up your sweet potato half.