Looking for the perfect lunch? It’s waiting for you here. Try my go-to black bean chili with a delightful hummus & tempeh sandwich!
Black Bean Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced (only add if you want lots of heat)
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced (I use frozen from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 cup corn (I use frozen)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 tsp each
- chili powder
- 1 lemon / lime juiced
- cilantro to serve
optional: add other veggies that you like – carrot, potato, celery, & broccoli all go great with it!
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and stir & then add jalapeño.
- Once onions are soft and a little browned, add bell pepper, corn, diced tomatoes, all seasonings, quinoa, and broth – bring to a boil.
- Let simmer on medium low for 5 minutes.
- Add black beans and let cook for 8-10 more minutes, or until quinoa is fluffy with a little crunch.
- Mix in citrus juice & serve with cilantro,
- 2 slices of your favorite bread
- 1 tbsp hummus
- 4″ x 2″ piece of tempeh – sliced in half so it is thin (like sandwich meat)
- 1/2 tomato, sliced
- 1/4 onion, julienned
- 5-10 spinach leaves, whole
- hot sauce
optional: add your favorite sandwich toppings, like pickles, lettuce, olives, banana peppers, vegan mayo substitute, etc.
- Spread hummus on both pieces of bread.
- Layer tempeh with other ingredients and drizzle with hot sauce.
- Optional: grill it in a pan w/ some oil or vegan butter!