Orange Ginger Tofu Tacos with Dragon Fruit Sweet ‘n’ Sour Salsa
I know you what you’re thinking. Tacos? Yes, TACOS. One of my favorite things to make and eat is fusion tacos.
I love to combine flavors that typically aren’t thrown together. It creates an entirely new and flavorful palette.
This recipe consists of three parts. The order in which you attack them is crucial – as some recipes are required as ingredients for others.
The most important thing to remember with this project is to make sure everything is diced, cubed, minced, measured, and ready for you to add it to when you need it. It will prevent overcooking, forgetting ingredients, and just flat-out messing up.
First? The salsa. It’s important to make the salsa first because the flavors of the fresh fruits & vegetables will accentuate each other and mesh well together with the rice vinegar.
Next? Start the tofu. As it is cooking, you want to start in on the sauce. They should be finished up right around the same time – which is when you will combined them together!
Last? Fry up some tortillas of choice and make yourself some tacos!
This recipe seems difficult in theory, but it is actually pretty simple! The only potentially tricky part is making the orange ginger sauce for the tofu, but if you follow the directions closely – it will be simple to follow along and you’ll be sure to make it taste great!
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
Dragon Fruit Sweet & Sour Salsa
- 1 pitaya, or dragon fruit, diced into 1/3 inch cubes
- 1 bell pepper, cubed
- 1/4 white onion, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno minced
- cilantro, chopped (amount depends on your preference – I used about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- pinch of salt
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and refridgerate while you are preparing tofu & sauce.
- 1 package tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2-3 tbsp oil (I used avocado)
- Heat oil over (a little bit above) medium heat.
- Add tofu
- Stir and flip tofu around every 5 minutes.
- Around the 15-20 minute mark, the tofu should be crispy on all sides. remove from heat and set aside if the sauce is not yet finished. If it is, add to the saucepan of sauce.
Orange Ginger Sauce
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1″ x 1″ cube of ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp sesame seed
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup green onion, minced
- 4-6 flour tortillas (for tacos!)
- 2 cups chopped bok choy
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and ginger. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until onion is slightly browned.
- Then add, the wet ingredients – soy sauce, orange juice, chili garlic sauce, rice vinegar.
- Let simmer on low for 5 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Add in sesame seeds and 1 tsp salt.
- Mix in the cornstarch and stir constantly with a rubber spatula to ensure it does not stick to the saucepan – about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and taste – add more salt and/or sesame seeds for your preference.
- Once the sauce is done, mix in fried tofu and serve garnished with sesame seeds & green onions.
- Serve on tacos garnished with bok choy, dragon fruit salsa, and some extra sesame seeds if you wish.
I hope you enjoy the new flavors! Let me know what you would add or take away from the recipe if you were to create it!