Cilantro Lime Bulgur Salad
Have you ever had bulgur wheat before? It’s a crunchy grain and tastes great in chilis, salads, or just on its own as a side.
It is a great source of protein, iron & manganese, too! It’s flavor is nutty and its texture is crunchy and somewhat squishy – like quinoa, but so much better and more flavorful.
I used to make a recipe from America’s Test Kitchen that used bulgur to make a carrot, almond, & mint salad. It required soaking the bulgur with water for about an hour – and then adding other ingredients to bump up the flavor and texture.
Since then, I have created my own salad using the same soaking method. This salad is a blend between beloved cilantro lime rice, quinoa salad, and bulgur.
The lime juice brings out the boldness and freshness of the corn, tomato, onion, and spices. And the bulgur soaks all of the flavor up!
It is delicious as a side or as it’s own meal in itself – especially if you add some more plant-based protein, like tempeh or black beans!
Go get together these 10 cheap ingredients and try it out today! You can find bulgur wheat a most grocery stores in the health food or grain section – Bob’s Red Mill has a bag of it. You can typically find it in the bulk section, too!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Soak Time: 60 minutes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ cup bulgur wheat rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 lime squeezed
- ½ cup chopped cilantro (stalks and all)
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ½ cup red onion, diced as small as you can get it
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ cup corn
- 1 avocado, cubed (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine water, lime juice, and bulgur wheat. Let it soak for an hour.
- While it is soaking, prep, chop, slice, measure all of the other ingredients.
- Once the bulgur has a chewy consistency and there are no “hard” bits in it because the water has been completely absorbed, mix in all other ingredients.
- If you are choosing to use avocado, be careful when mixing it in (unless you prefer it to be smashed, not cubed).
- Garnish with some more cilantro & enjoy! Goes great as a side, snack, or even a main dish!