Tofuevos = vegan eggs or a tofu scramble. I know you were wondering!
Huevos Rancheros = the best food on the planet. For starters, it’s Mexican breakfast and we all know there is close to nothing better than that. Huevos Rancheros are corn tortillas smothered with beans and layered with eggs and tasteful toppings.
I had to veganize – it! So here are my Tofuevos Rancheros!
They are tasty, filling, easy, healthy, and take less than 30 minutes to throw together!
Time: 30 minutes (or less)
- 4 corn tostada shells
- 2/3 package tofu, diced as small as you can get it
- 1 veggie burger patty (whichever brand you prefer – I use Dr. Praeger’s)
- 1 1/2 cup beans, already cooked.
- 1 tsp herbs de Provence
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- hot sauce and/or salsa of choice
- Heat 1 tbsp of water in a pan over medium heat.
- Add diced tofu. Let cook for 5 minutes.
- Heat a small pan over medium heat with the veggie patty.
- In the meantime, you can prep / cut up your cabbage, onion, tomato, spinach.
- Once the tofu has started to brown up a bit, add another tbsp of water and start smashing w/ a fork. The consistency should be similar to scrambled eggs.
- Once they look scrambled, add turmeric, paprika, chili powder, soy sauce, and a bit more water. Let cook for 5 – 10 minutes. Taste test to make sure flavor has been absorbed by the tofu. Turn heat to low and let sit on the stove until ready to serve.
- While tofu is continuing to cook, use a fork to break apart the veggie patty so that it is in small chunks. Add herbs de Provence. Turn heat to medium-low to let cook.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat beans w/ 1/4 cup of water in the microwave for about 1 minute.
- Then, add salt & smash the beans with a fork (or immersion blender if you have it). Return to microwave for 1 minute.
- Once everything is ready, you can layer it up!
- Order of operation?
- salsa / hot sauce
Are you interested in trying them out?
Does this seem like an easy recipe for you?
Have you even tried scrambled tofu before?
Did you try out the recipe?
Also, pin on Pinterest to save for later!