When I first went vegan, it always felt like there was something missing from my mex inspired dishes. I used to put plain greek yogurt on EVERYTHING.
Since going plant-based, I have tested and tried different methods to make a creamy and sour-ish spread to add to my food.
What have I tried?
Anything from “veganaise” mixed with spices – which I think is really tasty but I try to avoid processed products like that – all the way to soaking nuts overnight – which I hated because I will never responsible enough to remember to do that.
I use this cashew sour cream for tacos, tostadas, burrito bowls, salad dressing, etc!
That being said, I have created a no-soak fool-proof cashew sour cream that only requires 4 ingredients + some water! This sour cream is…
No-Soak Cashew Sour Cream
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- water for “cooking” cashews
- In a small sauce pan, add cashews and enough water to cover them. Bring to boil, turn to medium and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the nuts are on the stove, prep & add all other ingredients in a food processor.
- Once the cashews’ time is up, strain it and run it under cold water for 1-2 minutes – you want to decrease the temperature so that it blends well with the other ingredients.
- In the food processor – with all ingredients (including cashews and 3/4 cup water), blend for 4-5 minutes.
- You want the consistency to be extremely creamy with almost 0 grainy texture. Add more water if you want a thinner texture. Add more lemon and/or salt for more flavor.
Wanna turn it into a salad dressing? Add 1 tbsp of oil & 1 tbsp of white balsamic vinegar! It tastes great with kale, spinach, bell peppers, & onions!
Have you tried out the recipe? How did it go? Are you wanting to save this and make it later?
Share it on social media! Buttons are below!